Sunday, April 11, 2010

Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt

Rhabdomyosarcoma. That is the cancer that took my friend. When people ask me what type of cancer I never said the name. I could never pronounce it. I think I damn well should learn how to pronounce it. I can at least do that much. Jesus. So the funeral was a thursday afternoon. I only had 2 hours of sleep that day but I don't know why I felt the need to let people know that. Shit, they have enough on their mind already, why am I saying things like that? Think fucknut, think. We had to show up 30 minutes early. One of the guys I went with had to make a speech, and there were pallbearering duties to attend to. Like I wrote earlier, his death still didn't really hit me. Well that all changed during the funeral. It was a real eye opener. Sometimes you forget just how great a guy is. My friend said it best. He was a class guy. He got along with everyone. Nobody disliked him. Sure he was a quiet guy but if you knew him you'd do anything for him. He was capable of having the most glowing face. When he smiled you knew he meant it. His girlfriend wrote a beautiful speech. She knew she wouldn't be able to read it so she had a friend read it. It was amazing. Everyone was always commending her on sticking with him the whole time, and rightfully so, but this was her chance to tell everyone he was saving her just as much as she was saving him. They came together at a time very critical to each of them. They needed each other so much more then they could've believed. What still gets me going is the reverend saying that my friend told him he can die a happy man knowing that he had true love. And I can see him having true love. You have these friends that are married or have long term relationships with people they think they love, but you can see there are still problems. They're miserable just as often as they are happy. My friend could only be happy. Sure you could look at it as they more than likely knew they only had so much time together so they should make the most of it, but I figure that's the way all relationships should be. But then again I'm a lifelong bachelor so what do I know. Anyways, during the whole funeral I was teary eyed and crying. It was a real eye opener. He really lived, much more then I'm doing. After the funeral and hanging around a bit in the basement with friends and family, all the close friends went out for beer and food after. It was nice to hangout with everyone again. I had to go to work that night and that was pure shit, then I had to stay up after work because the burial was the next morning. So a friend and I went out to be part of the procession and say one last goodbye to my friend. Afterwards we went to his sisters house and got to hang out again. It was nice to see his brothers smiling again. After a week of hell and staying up for 30 hours to finish things up I got to go home and sleep and try and resume life again. RIP divy.

In other news, I just found out a childhood friend of mine, and the son of my mom's best friend died in Afghanistan. Shit. Time to do it all over again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home