Wednesday, March 17, 2010

All My Friends/Someone Great

It's rather sad sometimes to think back. I used to get so excited when a band I liked released an album. I would count down the days until the release, read every review I could, find out when they were touring near me, and on the day it released I would sometimes skip class (if they were real important to me) and go get the cd and listen to it every chance I could for the next week. I would forgo doing anything else just so I could listen to the music. Sometimes I think that it's because I used to listen to music so closely that I hear things in songs that very few others do. Of course probably everyone else in the world feels the same way. I used to feel that my life wouldn't be complete until I saw NIN and Mars Volta live about 7 years ago. Then NIN released an album I didn't like that much and I saw a live dvd before I finally got to see them live, and while it was great, it wasn't life fulfilling. And now Mars Volta has released a couple of albums that I don't like nearly as much as the first one and they replaced their drummer. I'm not sure why but the drummer is the band member I listen to the most and if the drummer isn't up to par it really, really bothers me. Alexisonfire had a different drummer on the first two albums then the last two albums and I can really hear the difference, but whenever someone asks me why I don't like the last two albums as much and I reply "the drummer", people look at me like I'm an idiot. But I hear the difference and it really bugs me! The same with Mars Volta. The new drummer uses more foot pedal and I've always preferred more stick drumming then foot drumming and it really bugs me. But such is life, you grow old, grumpy, and lose your childhood vigor. And I'm only 27.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home