Sunday, January 31, 2010

Staying up for 26 hours straight isn't as hard as I thought it would be. It's amazing to me that so many parents that work midnights do it every single weekend. I went to visit my cancerous friend on friday as planned but I'll be damned if Toronto isn't the most frustrating place I've had the pleasure of being driven in. It literally took 15 minutes to move 120 metres at one point. I'm going to say this once, and once only, fuck GPS. Fuck it to hell. Give me a fucking map because GPS is an offensively bad joke. Somehow we drove 50km past Toronto without even realizing it and I'm blaming the fucking son of a ratfuck bastard bitch GPS whore. Fuck it. Now that that's done on with the show. You think it might be weird going to see a friend with cancer in a hospital. What do you say? How do you react? It turns out it's not that weird at all. 3 of us went to see him and all that happened was we talked amongst each other for a few hours just like the old friends that we are. We talked about the stupid things we did when we were younger, about the women they (not me of course, for I am the lonely worker) are seeing now, about how the leafs suck and whatever else pops up. We didn't bring up the cancer at all and decided we would leave it to our friend to talk about if he wanted to bring it up. I'm sure it's all he hears about, thinks about and talks about the rest of the time. Our goal was to see him and make him happy. Just bring a smile to his face. I think we did the right thing. He definitely seemed very happy to see us and get a chance to escape from the harsh reality of his cancer. I have to say he didn't look that great though. He has a massive lump coming out the side of his neck, he can't move one of his arms and he has growths on both sides of his chest as well. He's just started a new cycle of chemotherapy which hopefully will make things better, but his cancer is so rare no one knows if it will help or not. I have no idea how his girlfriend is able to stay so strong during this time. They were only going out for a bit over a month, though they knew each other for over a year before they went out, before he found he had cancer, and she's still with him seeing him whenever she can. I have a bad habit of thinking ill of of women from time to time and I forget just how much amazing they can be. My hats of to her for sticking it out as long as she has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home